Upcoming Shows - In the Works:

APPEARANCES:
January 29, 2012
Sunday 5-7pm
Latino Theater Company Play Reading
Los Angeles Theater Center
514 S. Spring St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013

March 13, 2012
UCLA Asian American Studies 187A
Professor Valerie Matsumoto
"Exploring Ethnic Cultural Arts through Oral History"

March 29, 2012
Thursday 6:30-9:30pm
Break the Silence Open Mic held at
The Manazar Gamboa Community Theater
1323 Gundry Ave. Long Beach, CA, 90813
http://oneimagination.weebly.com/events.html

April 4, 2012
Wednesday 11-1pm
Cal Arts in Valencia
Theater History
Professor Chantal Rodriguez E108

UPCOMING SHOWS:
Los Angeles, CA
Produced by TeAda Productions and The Latino Theater Company
May 31 - June 24, 2012
Thursday-Saturday 8pm, Sunday 3pm
General $30|Students/Seniors/Groups: $20
Los Angeles Theater Center
514 S. Spring St
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Fall 2012-Portland, OR
Fall 2012-Vermont
Stay tuned for times and locations.


Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Homer, Alaska--The Drinking Town With A Fishing Problem by May Lee-Yang

Today marked our last day in Anchorage. This morning was filled with last-minute meetings, some good-byes, and a mad dash to clean up the apartment that had become our home for the last week.

Then we flew from Anchorage to Homer, Alaska, and, as always, things were interesting.

First off, there was no security check for the airline that took us to Homer. All of us noted how odd it felt to not have to go through the protocol of security check.

Next, our plane was small...so small that EVERYONE had a window seat and there was no stowaway space above us. There was some turbulence initially on the plane, but, let me tell you, it was worth it.

In the 45 minutes it took to get us from Anchorage to Homer, I saw the landscape and sky change several times over.

There were mud flats all over the ground...and, of course, the mountains were ever present. Then we drifted in the whiteness of clouds for a while. For a moment there, I felt as though I was in one of those horror movies in which the passengers of the plane unknowningly go through a thick cloud only to emerge in some creepy parallel world.

But I eventually saw the light--literally.

The views of Alaska are really breath-taking. I wish I could better describe what I saw or that I had photos. What I can say is that I felt as though I was watching a painting created before my very eyes.

Anyway, about Homer...Anchorage had been snowy when we left. Homer is still green. There was some rain left over from earlier today.

We were shown to the Old Time Bed and Breakfast, which will be our home for the next couple of days. The Old Time B & B is really cute place. It's situated right above the Bunnell Street Gallery where we'll be performing REFUGEE NATION this Friday and Saturday.

What I can say right now about our neighborhood is that everything is very cute, very whimsical (and, yes, I know I've already used the word "cute" several times but it really is). The buildings are all brightly-colored and Victorian-esque. We have a coffeeshop downstairs from us. Down the street is a bakery/coffeeshop, a bookstore, a pub, among other things. I'm looking forward to exploring the coast line. That's right. We have a great view and easy access to the Pacific Ocean.

The Bunnell Street Gallery has beautiful artwork and our host, Asia Freeman, organized a wonderful dinner for us tonight at which we got to meet some of the students from her painting class.

Anyway, it's a beautiful town, and I look forward to our new adventures, which begins tomorrow morning at the Fireweed Charter School.

This photo was taken in real time. That's literally me as I'm writing that's literally Jen sending photos to the blog site. And no, I'm not pregnant! Just fat.

Also, we'll be discovering whether Homer, indeed, has a fishing problem and the other stuff about the drinking too.